Sunday 20 February 2011

Book Review: Echoes from the Dead - Johan Theorin

This is the first novel I've been sent as part of the Transworld Crime Caper.  I'm a big fan of Nordic crime, so this was a good choice for me.
 
The island of Oland off the south eastern coast of Sweden is the setting for this mystery. Twenty years ago a child goes missing, his body is never found. His mother now lives on the mainland, but his grandfather a retired sea captain still lives on the island. When the little boys shoe is posted to the old man, questions and answers seem destined to be asked

This novel won the CWA Best First Crime Novel of 2009 and is well deserved. The little boy goes missing in the fog, and it is this bleakness that permeates through the book. The plot twists and turns allow the story to move at a good pace, with several shock developments.  The characters were well rounded and showed that all of them had secrets, some more important to keep to themselves than others.

I thoroughly recommend this novel. It's well written, has a good storyline and kept me guessing right to the end. I will certainly be looking for the authors next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment